Hands-on therapies are more than pampering. Their benefits may surprise you.
STRESS… Everyone experiences it. No one is immune to this necessary part of life. Frequent or unrelenting stress can damage your body and is a contributing factor to most disease processes.
What stress does to you:
Your body reacts unconsciously to situations you find threatening. Its emergency stress response primes you for fight of flight by causing certain physiological changes to take place:
- your body produces additional adrenaline
- the functioning of your immune and digestive systems is inhibited
- the flow of blood to your extremities and internal organs is diminished.
Possible results of unattended stress:
- changes in blood sugar
- colitis and ulcers
- heart disease, high blood pressure and hypertension
Palliative care can dramatically reverse the damaging physiological effects of stress by helping to:
- lower your heart rate and blood pressure and improve blood circulation
- heighten your sense of well-being and drop your anxiety level
- release endorphins, the body’s natural pain killer
Hands on therapies can do more than promote relaxation. Palliative care can:
- relieve back pain
- treat migraines
- ease symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome
- alleviate side effects of cancer